Mental health for children
Many children suffer from one or more psychological problems at some point. These disorders can be brief and leave no lasting mark on your child, or they could have a tremendous negative impact on a child's self-esteem, family relationships, friendships and school performance.
This brief synopsis includes symptoms associated with some common mental health problems found in children. If you believe that your child might have a problem, or if other people are sharing their concerns about your child's mood with you, we encourage you to discuss it with us at the first signs or symptoms.
For any child, life can be overwhelming at times. If you think your child may need help, please contact Eugene Pediatric Associates. We can provide you with the name of an appropriate, professionally trained psychologist or psychiatrist. We're here to help.
What's the difference between a psychologist and a psychiatrist?
Psychologists are human mind and behavior specialists. These trained professionals help children and adults deal with everyday problems. Some specialize in counseling, while others are more procedural or research-oriented.
Psychiatrists are medical doctors who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of mental health disorders. Psychiatrists are able to give prescription medications, if needed, as part of a treatment plan.
Clues that indicate your child may need the help of a psychologist or psychiatrist may include:
- Persistent or severe emotional problems that interfere with your child's ability to function.
- Unexplained school problems that you and your child's teacher cannot solve.
- Parent-child conflict that is severe or chronic.
- Diagnosis of an eating disorder.
- Family upheaval such as divorce, death, or loss that is overwhelming to your child.
- Self-inflicted injury (biting, burning, cutting), or suicidal thoughts or attempt.
- Drug or alcohol use.
- Sudden, big change in your child's behavior, friends or school performance.
- ADHD that requires complex medication management.
- Mental health problem that needs complex medication management.