Accidents are the No. 1 cause of death in American children. Each year, many are seriously injured in bicycle accidents, many of which could have been less devastating with the proper use of bike helmets.
To encourage your child to wear her bike helmet:
- Start the habit early, as soon as your child begins to ride a tricycle or bicycle.
- Wear a helmet yourself, even on short rides. You are your child’s No. 1 one role model.
- Talk to your kids about why bike helmets are so important.
- Reward your kids for wearing helmets without being reminded.
- Don’t allow your child to ride without a helmet. No helmet, no bike. Period.
- Be sure the helmet does its job. Make sure it fits squarely on their head, covering the top of the forehead and fitting snuggly enough not to slide around. If a helmet is loose or is tipped back on their head, it won’t protect them in case of a fall.