The majority of homes in Lane County have at least one gun. Every year in the U.S., more than 17,000 children and teens are shot and nearly 3,000 children die in murders, assaults, suicides, unintentional shootings and police interventions involving guns. Nearly 4.6 million children live in a home with loaded and unsecured guns. To decrease the risk of danger due to firearms:
- Keep guns in your home locked.
- Ammunition should be kept in a separate locked location.
- Keys to the gun and ammo locks should be inaccessible to children of all ages.
- Teach children about gun safety when there are guns in your home.
- Ask parents where your child will be playing “Is there an unlocked gun where my child plays?” It feels awkward to ask, but it’s important.