In-home child care
Child care offered in a home setting may or may not be regulated by the State of Oregon. Those that are state-regulated are either “Registered” or “Certified.” Registered in-home providers normally care for 3-10 children, not including the provider’s own children. Certified in-home providers can accept up to 12 children. We encourage you to review the State of Oregon Employment Department Child Care Division to learn more.
Advantages may include:
- One dedicated provider who knows your child well.
- Fewer children and germs.
- Reliable, flexible hours.
- Stimulating, but homey environment.
- Lower cost.
Disadvantages may include:
- Panic when the provider is ill.
- Exclusion when your child is ill.
- Variability in quality, qualifications of applicants.
- Finding a provider that meets your needs, expectations.
*It’s important to note that these pros and cons may not apply to the in-home care provider/setting you’re considering, so be sure to do your homework.