Parents fortunate enough to have a relative step up and offer to care for their child should consider both the pros and cons. This type of arrangement offers many rewards, as well as potential drawbacks.
Advantages may include:
- Developing a tight bond between your child and a family member.
- Comfort in knowing the person who is caring for your child.
- Flexible hours.
- Lower cost.
Disadvantages may include:
- Panic when the relative is ill.
- Difficulty in communicating concerns about the care provided.
- Clashes over child rearing.
- Complexities of being beholden to your family member.
- Hurt feelings if it doesn’t work out.
*It’s important to note that these pros and cons may not apply to the relative you’re considering.